Legal News Woman dies 8 injured after exposure to odor at McDonalds-918Posted: September 10, 2011 | Author: Lawyer | Filed under: Georgia Lawyers | Comments Off on Legal News Woman dies 8 injured after exposure to odor at McDonalds-918
By JIM DANKO
An 80-year-old woman died and several others were hospitalized after exposure to toxic fumes at a McDonald’s restaurant in Pooler, Ga., just west of Savannah, on Sept. 7, according to a report in CNN.
Emergency personnel responded to a call and found two women unconscious in a McDonald’s restroom. The first responders had to back out of the restroom and put on their breathing apparatus before re-entering, sources told CNN.
Nine people, including three firefighters, were treated at Memorial University Medical Center. One of the nine people injured died on Sept. 8: Anne Felton, of Ponte Vedra, Fla.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating the contamination. According to Savannahnow.com, the OSHA probe will focus on employees of the restaurant (OSHA is charged with ensuring workplace safety). One employee was sent to the hospital and 14 more had to be decontaminated, Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons told Savannahnow.com.
Firefighters suspect the chemicals used to clean the restaurant bathroom made the nine people sick. However, a restaurant manager said people started getting sick hours after employees last cleaned the restrooms, according to Savannahnow.com.
Others injured include Carol Berry, 56, of Jacksonville, Fla.; Sharon Barefield, 50, and her two sons, Troy Barefield, 19, and Justin Barefield, 22, all of Savannah.
Get The Full News Story